Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Week four – What happened to the time?

So, I finished my first week of class and I must say that we definitely did not ease into the transition. In fact, I feel like I have gone from 0 to 60 in about 2 seconds. The amount of reading that is expected in incredible and it takes over an hour every day just to track down the reading, which is chapters from different books, on order to photocopy it. In addition to just trying to get and read everything, I am feeling in over my head with the substance of the reading and class discussion. There is a ton I do not know about the construct of “race”, global human rights, linguistics and culture. So, my days have been going something like this: I get up around 7:30 every morning, try to get some reading done before class, jump on the bus to campus to attend class, grab a bite to eat with classmates, head to the library to photocopies more reading and head home to read again. It is an intense schedule and has left no room for anything else – even keeping in touch with anyone.

Sunday, I took a day off from studying and, after sleeping in a bit, read in a tour book about a footpath called Wicklow Way. It is an 80 miles path that runs from Dublin south through the Wicklow Mountains. The best part is - the footpath begins in a park that is right around the corner from my house. A friend from school, Dona, and I spent all afternoon walking and exploring this cool path. After looping through Marley Park, a huge, beautiful park fulling of families enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon, it follows a narrow, uphill road, shaded by trees on both sides. At the top of a long slope, the trees open up to show a gorgeous view north to Dublin and the harbor.

Recent reflections while riding the bus: I never knew all the variety of stockings that were available in the world until I got to Dublin; small stripes, big stripes, bright colors, infinite patterns of lace, hearts, circles, and, occasionally, subtle, solid tones. I thought about starting to take pictures of all the variety I see every day, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, but I fear women might get slightly offended. Oh well, you will just have to come here to see for yourself.

I wish I had more to write but I must admit that I am really tired at the moment and am feeling the pressure to head to campus to start my day. Hope your life is going well!

3 comments:

seester said...

Hey, Jo-
Don't forget to take the time to enjoy where you are. It's important to do well, yes, but, rarely will anyone ever care to see your GPA. I'm sure you'll settle into a routine that will allow for some quality Dublin-time. For now, though, that sounds incredibly hectic and stressful. Good luck! I know you'll do well...
mary

Johanna said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks! If I was a little less interested in the stuff I am studying, I could probably walk away from it more easily. But, to be honest, I went for an unplanned walk yesterday on the north side of the river and had a great time (got pictures of a horse and wagon bringing produce to the market in the middle of the city!). I actually did not get any studying done except for when I was in class and it was a great break! How is your class going?
Love,
Jo

seester said...

Hi Jo,

Hey - you are the queen of multi-tasking! I'm sure you could take a scenic walk, do some grocery shopping, stop at the post office, swing by the university library, finish a paper, do some dishes and fold your laundry all at the same time!
My class is going well. There's not too much to report.