Monday, April 7, 2008

Juggling and not looking behind me to see what I've dropped

Hook Head Lighthouse

March was a month of essays and, believe it or not, yes, travel. Actually, let me clarify, it was a month of 2 essays, writing with co-writers assigned to us earlier in the term. It turned out to be as challenging as that exercise can be. One of my co-writers' attitude was, "really, these are just pass/fail classes." The other one did not sent me her half of the document until the night before the essay was due. The first one turned out better than I expected (I think) but still not great and the second one turned out to be one of the worst essays I have ever turned it (not having the time to rewrite the whole thing was a distinct problem). I am getting the results back on the first one tomorrow and I am expecting a grade quite a bit lower than I have been receiving on my independent essays. Oh well.

The last week in March, right before Easter, a friend of mine flew over from Boston to travel in Ireland for a week with me. We did a LOT in 7 days: all the way from County Wicklow, through Wexford, Waterford, and Cork to the Ring of Kerry in County Kerry before returning to Dublin via the Rock of Cashel and Kilkenny. We went to the most southwesternly point of Ireland (Mizen Head) and to the Waterford Crystal factory where seeing the crystal shaped by hand was amazing to watch. Hook Head lighthouse in C. Wexford was a beautiful spot as was so much of western Cork and Kerry. And, Durrus and Kenmare were fun pubs, I mean, towns.

We started in on the Trinity Term last Monday and I have 2 presentations in the next 2 weeks plus I really, really need to get immersed in my dissertation research. There is a conference in the Netherlands in early June that I am considering attending as part of my research but I have not made a decision on that.
In regards to Rotary stuff: Last Friday night, I attended the Dublin Viking Rotary Club's President's night and this Thursday, I will be doing my 9th talk at a Rotary Club. I'll be back at my host club, Dublin Fingal, at the end of the month for an end-of-the-year talk and I will be in Comber, Northern Ireland in May to visit and speak there.
The time just keeps flying by.

4 comments:

momeester said...

How exciting it all sounds. Too bad you co-workers were disappointing.

seester said...

hey jo,

it does sound exciting. i hope all is well.

the highlight around here has been the weather. it was about 70 on thursday, and crept past the 60 mark again today to celebrate the first day of april vacation. on thursday, i wandered around colchester and spent a passle of money of stuff i don't need because i was so happy to be walking around without umpteen layers on. the local merchants were thrilled. i, upon arriving home, was slightly baffled. i blame the sun.

seester said...

"on stuff i don't need"

although, if i'm abandoning upper-case letters, proof-reading seems a bit silly.

Johanna said...

I was just guessing that you were thoroughly enjoying your vacation and getting all rebellious. ;) Hope the time off has been great!